Home About Contact Press Advertise Faq
Search Beauty 365
The Latest And Greatest
Add Us!

Disclaimer
All images are property of their respectful owner(s).
Beauty 365 Archive
May 12th, 2012
Miracle in a Bottle: How Castor Oil Saved My Hairline [BEFORE + AFTER]

by Dr. Uzoma for Beauty 365

In January 2011, I got box braids and I was really excited because I hadn’t had them in a long while. I wanted a break from maintaing my relaxed hair. The previous time I had braids was in early 2008 and my hair did pretty well after taking them out.

That was not the case this time. My hairline was WRECKED and my relaxed hair was really thin and breaking. . .

I didn’t really know what to do so I covered it with weaves and wigs in an attempt to help it recover. That didn’t really help. It took about a year to grow out all the thin parts but my edges were still a disaster. I couldn’t wear my hair pulled back in a bun or ponytail like I often enjoy doing.

So, being the scientist that I am, I did some research on the Internet and found the blog, African Tresses. The author, Phro, discussed how castor oil saved her hairline and she even posted pics of the results. (Her blog is really informative. You should check it out.) She has a hairline challenge that lasts for 2 months.

So, I decided to try it. I thought the worse that could happen is that my hairline would remain the same. . .

My hairline recovered by leaps and bounds. By the end of the first month, I saw a tremendous difference. I could not believe it. I was truly amazed. By the end of the second month, my hairline had almost fully returned. I am not sure if it is the castor oil or the scalp massages or a combination of the two, but it really worked for me.

For the first month, I used regular drugstore castor oil (the one used as a laxative). For the second month, I used Jamaican Black Castor Oil by Tropical Isle Products. You can get details on it here I would wholeheartedly recommend this method for anyone suffering from these issues.

Here are photo the results:

Left Temple on Feb. 28

Left Temple on Apr. 28

Right Temple on Feb. 28

Right Temple on Apr. 28

What a difference!

Currently, I use castor oil three times a week on my scalp before I moisturize and seal my hair. It really helps soften my new growth. I also continue to castor oil on my hairline daily.

Have any of you had success/disappointments with castor oil and your hair?

Let us know in the comments!

Like this post? SUBSCRIBE below so you won’t miss another!
Email Newsletter or RSS Feed

”Like” Us on Facebook

Pin with Us on Pinterest
Check out my Tumblr while you’re at it!

Photo Credit: Amazon
Related Posts with Thumbnails

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 12th, 2012 at 5:13 pm and is filed under Dr. Uzoma, Hair, Hair Care, Relaxed Hair Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

14 Responses to “Miracle in a Bottle: How Castor Oil Saved My Hairline [BEFORE + AFTER]”

1. Ugochi @ Beauty 365 says:

AWESOME RESULTS! I’m glad you didn’t end up having to use the Bosley hair replacement system ;)

2. Dr. Uzoma @ Beauty365 says:

Thanks! Thank God I didn’t have to go the Bosley route.

3. steph, b365 says:

No wayyyy!!! Thats miracle oil!

4. Dr. Uzoma @ Beauty365 says:

Yes. It is great! I was really shocked when I saw the results.

5. Nnenna says:

Aaaahhhhh!!! I have been meaning to get my hands on this for the entire semester. I have just been dulling. =( I must order this thing immediately. My hairline would have loved me by now if I bought it in January.

6. Dr. Uzoma @ Beauty365 says:

I tell you. If I had known earlier . . . but it isn’t too late to start. I got the Jamaican Black Castor Oil at my local beauty supply store. So you may want to check there before ordering online. It also works with regular castor oil. Some people may have a reaction to JBCO since it isn’t processed.

7. Angela says:

I really hope this works for me. I really hope it isn’t genetics :/ Thanks for posting this :D

8. Dr. Uzoma @ Beauty365 says:

Hi Angela. I really hope it helps you too. My temples have always been a trouble spot for me. You can also check phrophro.com or hairlista.com for people that have tried castor oil and got great results. There may also be videos on YouTube. Good Luck!

9. Angela says:

Thanks :) I’m gonna buy a bottle as soon as i wake up tomorrow!

10. Milsie says:

Hi all, I started my own hairline challenge recently and have been using 2 key products. diproson and temple balm by organic root stimulator.progress has been very slow though i do some grow of baby hairs. I do have some pictures which i will share at some point. I really want to try the castor oil. My question is does it have to be Jamaican Black Castor Oil or will just regular castor oil work too? I’m not sure they stock that in Zambian pharmacies

11. Dr. Uzoma @ Beauty365 says:

Hi Milsie. I think regular castor oil will work well too. I used the normal castor oil for the first month of the hairline challenge and I was able to see results. If you check phrophro.com/hlc, Aphro gives her method of the hairline challenge and when she did it, she used regular castor oil from the pharmacy. Hope this was useful and good luck with your healthy hair journey (HHJ).

12. clarita says:

there are videos up on youtube affirming the new growth from using an onion masque/mask-
    then of course the Jamaican castor oils and Shima girl products
    and that Shima girl has motivational chats etc on youtube.
    and yes,the humble onion truly works.
    and no,i’m not connected with any videos or products.

all the BEST to those starting this journey-
    stay positive and motivated !

13. Marya says:

What wonderful wonders….i have exactly the same problem with my hairline, I am always covering it with weaves but itjust doesn’t want to grow so I think the more I put on weaves the more they break. I am staying in a country called Namibia in Africa and woud want to know how and where to get hold of this castor oils.

14. Dr. Uzoma @ Beauty365 says:

Thanks for your comment, Marya. You may want to take a break in-between weaves for about 2 weeks. During that time, you can treat your hair properly with moisture and protein and prepare it for the next protective style. With regards to castor oil, you can contact Ruutos for Jamaican Black Castor Oil in Namibia. Their number is +264 813 696 014 and their website is http://www.ruutos.com. You may find the clear castor oil at a chemist or pharmacy. I live in Nigeria and I usually find castor oil at the pharmacy. You may also be able to find locally produced castor oil at the market. Good luck!