So, this is still one of my proudest moments of the year. Almost 6 months later, I am STILL happily organized in all of my makeup pursuits. Check out this vintage post to read more about how I got there…
Howdy, Beauty Pies!
Today I have a special treat! Because you guys are so awesome, I’m going to give you a peek at my makeup organization skills.
Now, this may look like a disaster to you (and it pretty much is) but I know where everything is (sort of). I just never seem to have the time (or motivation) to get it all sorted out…
Enter, Barbara Reich, pro personal organizer (and self-proclaimed “Type A+ Personality”) who wisely made a career out of her neurosis. She’s even been profiled in the New York Times.
Eliminating clutter is a topic near and dear to my heart and it also happens to be a way of life for Barbara, so you can imagine how excited I was to meet her at a recent press event.
Yes, I was a total nerd and had a bunch of questions prepared ahead of time, but it was SO worth it. The event was held in an actual client’s home that Barbara had expertly reorganized and streamlined.
Here are some comparison pics of the client’s home:
Can we say miraculous?!
TOP ORGANIZATIONAL TIPS
Barbara gave too many organizational tips for this post, but some of my faves are:
1. When in doubt, throw it out.
2. NEVER go shopping without a list.
3. Group “like with like” when you organize.
On To-Do Lists:
1. Make one every night.
2. Start with the item on your list that you have been putting off or are dreading the most. Mental freedom awaits!
On Switching Purses:
1. Use a small transferrable pouch (preferably clear) to hold all of your essentials. This way you’ll never forget things when you make the switch.
2. Stop lugging so much crap around to begin with!
On Electronic Planners vs. Paper Planners:
1. If you have trouble remaining focused (ahem!), GET A PAPER PLANNER! This will help you focus on one thing at a time since all those beeps, flashes and notifications can be hard to tune out. Tip: It’s ok to have both! Barbara uses both a PDA and paper planner.
Lastly, plastic storage bins (like the ones below) are your storage friends. You also need to make friends with an electronic Label Maker.
THE ROAD TO MAKEUP ORGANIZATION
Armed with Barbara’s tips and inspiration, here’s what I did:
*I went through my makeup and got rid of stuff I never use or that had been sitting around too long.
*Made a list of the type of storage items I had in mind (clear, sleek, acrylic, etc) keeping in mind the storage space I was working with.
*Then I went on over to The Container Store in Chelsea, NYC.
*Spent way too long in the Bath Aisle but eventually got what I came for:
*Voila! Here’s my finished product:
I did good, huh guys? I’m so proud of my organizational masterpiece!
Here are the deets on what I picked up:
2 Clear Hinged Boxes ($9 each)
Clear Cosmetic Tray ($18)
Countertop Organizer/Brush Holder ($9)
12-Section Lipstick Holder ($4)
Soooo, are you jumping on the organizational bandwagon with me?!
Leave a comment and let us know what your organization philosophy is!
This entry was posted
on Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 at 11:04 am and is filed under Makeup.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.